Health Benefits of Prune Juice
Fasting Juice Recipes Color Rotation
Best of Dark
Prune juice enables juice fasting and natural weight loss without having to put up with hunger. Please make sure to include it on your juice fasting recipes color rotation list. I recommend this as the top of the dark color series.
Prunes in General
Prunes are dry forms of plums. This delicious fruit is also very nutritious. The carbohydrates, including sugars, in dried prunes are naturally occurring - dried prunes have no added sugar.
They provide potassium, soluble and insoluble fiber, phytochemicals that function as antioxidants as well as some iron and Vitamin A. Dried plums/prunes can play an important role in promoting good digestive health.
Four to five dried prunes contains 3 full grams of fiber. About half of that is insoluble, which helps speed food through the digestive tract. The other half is slow-moving soluble fiber, good for enhancing satiety, lowering cholesterol and regulating blood-sugar levels. They both add up to a very healthy gut. This fiber-rich fruit hence offers great health benefits to our bodies.
Prune Juice Enables Weight Loss Without Hunger
It is an ideal drink to start with, if you want to try juice fasting but afraid of hunger pangs. Why? Prunes are very rich in fiber, hence creating a feeling of fullness within your stomach. Therefore you won’t feel hungry on your juice fasting day. Even on your eating day, a glass of prune juice before meal will help prevent overeating, reduce your calories intake and you will lose weight.
Prune Juice For Constipation
Prunes itself is a gentle however effective laxative, helping in releasing of toxins and excess fat in the body. Its dietary fibers are very useful in overcoming constipation. The insoluble fibers of prunes help feed the useful bacteria present in the intestines. The rise in number of beneficial bacteria results in the reduction of harmful one.
The juice of prunes supplies simple sugars to the body which helps in drawing fluids to the intestines. The fluid makes the stool soft and helps in bowel movement. Better effect could be achieved by drinking along with good amount of distilled water. You can also mix with apple juice or oak milk and drink the mixture first thing in the morning. That way you have to prepare to head to the bathroom very soon.
More Health Benefits
Apart from the major health benefits of weight loss and overcoming constipation, here are some more prune juice benefits.
- The high content of antioxidants present in prunes exceeds that of blueberries. The antioxidants not only prevent wear and tear of the body, but also help in warding off free radicals. The free radicals are known to cause a lot of damages to the body. These are indirectly responsible for the process of aging.
- Prune juice helps lowering cholesterol, flushing out of LDL cholesterol from the body. Along with its cholesterol lowering properties, it helps in preventing estrogen dependent breast cancer in women.
- Its high potassium content helps to keep heart rhythm in a sound state.
- Suanmeitang (sour plum juice) is usually served after heavy meals to help the process of digestion, as it prevents the build-up of lactic acid and thereby reduces acidity.
Tips About Prunes and Weight Loss
Although prune juice is very effective in weight loss and curing of constipation, there are a few things to note in order to avoid negative effects.
- Due to its high-fiber nature, over consumption will cause diarrhea and weakening of the digestive system. Don’t assume that the more you drink, the more weight you will lose. Either on your juice fasting day or eating day, I would recommend no more than a glass a day. Be sure to drink lots of distilled water as well.
- Mark it on your juice fasting color rotation list and make it part of your healthy diet. Do not solely rely on prunes for weight loss.
- Prunes contain simple sugars, an excess of which will be directly stored in fat cells, causing weight gain.
- Last but not the least, DO NOT purchase commercial bottled prune juice, as preservatives, sugar and positively some other additives are added. Don’t be lazy, make fun by juicing for weight loss. I’ll show you how to make your own prune juice at home.
How To Make Prune Juice
Prunes are dry form of plums. Dry prunes are ready-to-eat right from the package as a healthful snack or can be used as a versatile cooking or baking ingredient. We also juice dry prunes for better effects of weight loss and curing of constipation.
Simmer a mixture of 5 parts water to 1 part prunes for about three hours (if prunes are pitted) or four hours (if prunes have pits), stirring occasionally. Remove the pits, then puree what's left in a blender or food processor. If you have time, you can simply soak the prunes overnight. The soak water can be used as a milk laxative as well.
If you don’t have a blender or food processor, push the prunes through a sieve with the back of a wooden spoon and stir the water in. If you use less water, you’ll get a thicker mixture. The prune puree is a delicious drink and can be a major ingredient for many desserts.
Prunes and Prune Juice Recipes
Raw Food Juice Recipes
Natural Juicing Recipes
My Top Juice Fasting Recipes
By Color Rotation
Juice Fasting | Juicing for Weight Loss